Garretstown Strand, Co. Cork

Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:48 am

People:Just Me

Duration:5pm to 8.30pm

Tide:Ebbing to low tide at finish of session

Weather:Fabulous, not a breath of wind, clear skies.

Bait:Frozen Lug, Mackerel, Sandeels

Rigs:Running legers

Results:4 LSDs, 1 Whiting (tiny) & my first Bull Huss.

Report:

Headed first of all to the rocks at the right hand end of the small beach thats usually favoured by surfers. Tackled up with 2 rods equipped with running legers to 30lb line as is very snaggy ground and lobbed out large mackerel baits and double sandeel wraps into some of the deep gullys in the hope of a bass foraging around. Weather was lovely, however the sea was flat calm and the tide was ebbing so it was more in hope than expectation. I missed a good bite on the rod baited with sandeel after the line parted close to the hook following a brief tussle with what I suspect was another huss. After about an hour with darkness approaching I hooked into another fish, on the double sandeel again. I managed to land this fish and was delighted to have caught my first Huss. One look in its mouth was enough to confirm it wsa probably another that broke free earlier, Man they have a nasty row of teeth. I packed up as dusk was looming and headed towards the top left hand corner of Garretstown beach.

I tackled up here with the intention of targeting some of the flatties that are common here, running legers (cant be arsed tying anything more complicated!) to size 2 hooks on 15lb line baited with frozen black lug tipped with mackerel strip or sandeel portion. I had six casts here which resulted in 5 fish, steady doggy action (ooer!) and a lone whiting which would have made a fantastic bass bait had I thought about it at the time.

All in all an enjoyable evenings fishing, action picked up once darkness fell and all LSDs and the whiting were caught at relatively close range (I left the chesties at home) Wasnt expecting too much as the sea was like a mirror so was pleasantly surprised.