Portmuck Harbour 2/10/05

Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:51 pm

People: Self

[b]Duration: 08:30 - 11:30

[b]Tide: Filling ( High tide at 10:20 ish )

[b]Weather: Cloudy with slight breeze

[b]Bait: Herring Strips

[b]Rigs: Various

[b]Results: 3 Coalies, best about 3/4 lb.

At last I broke my duck. Only started fishing again so was quite chuffed !!
Is there any other good spots for a novice around this area ? i live in Ballyclare so am looking for somewhere around antrim coast.

[b]Report:

Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:23 pm

glenarm breakwater - dogs flats wrasse coalies codling etc
cushendun beach- dogs flats coalies codling etc best at night
carnlough beach - as above
................the list of possibilities is endless!...............

Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:05 pm

^^ I thought that was the end there!!!?? :shock: :wink: :lol: :lol:

Portmuck Harbour

Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:15 pm

Thanks for those locations will try them for def. A friend recommended Ballylumford harbour. Is it worth a try and if so what would be best bait ?

Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:45 pm

fished portmuck and did ok with rag and squid tips also mac would say be the same around the cornor

Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:45 pm

Alright all?

I just came across this site - looks good so far.

I fished Portmuck last night along with my brother. We arrived at 1900 for a HT of 23.15 (early I know but bear with me). On our way down the hill towards the harbour, I noticed that there were a lot of fishing moving on the surface. When we got onto the harbour, the water was alive with fish turning and jumping. We instantly broke out the spinning rods and feathers - my bl***y feathers were all tangled up and by the time I got them sorted, my bro had landed 10 fish.

We lost count after 40 fish, a mixture of coalies, small pollack and mackerel all up to 2lb.

We kept about 12 fish for the table and when I was 'administering the last rites' to some of them they were spitting up brill and spricks, we had obviously arrived in the middle of a feeding frenzy.

Truly a great experience.

It was the best nights fishing we've had so far and probably won't be repeated for some time.

Would recommend a trip to Portmuck for any angler.

GG

Portmuck Harbour

Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:57 am

All I can say to that is you lucky bugger !!!. Hope to get back to Portmuck this weekend. I normally fish the daytime High tides, is it better fishing the night time highs ?

Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:27 pm

Thanks for those locations will try them for def. A friend recommended Ballylumford harbour. Is it worth a try and if so what would be best bait ?

BallyLumford Harbour is a decent place to fish,but youve gotta catch it at the right time,best fished at night but if you wanna spin,then fish close in to piers for plenty of wrasse.Another thing you have to watch for is,when the tide has receded you have to watch for the downwash of weed from the estuary,can be a pain.

Portmuck Harbour

Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:03 pm

Went out again tonight from about 17:30 - 19:30. Tide was well out so was able to go on the rocks past the pier. Caught afew coalies and a few codling but they were all on the small side. Caught them all on prawns fresh from tesco's ! Will be down again at the weekend with rag so lets see if I can actually get one big enough for the pan this time !

Re: Portmuck Harbour

Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:36 pm

Dobe125 wrote:All I can say to that is you lucky bugger !!!. Hope to get back to Portmuck this weekend. I normally fish the daytime High tides, is it better fishing the night time highs ?

Alright mate?

We tend to do better at night and given the option we prefer fishing at night. Seems to be more fish around - especially dogfish - but only if you are at a pier/beach with street lights nearby. A good spot for the doggies at night is Carnlough Beach, try from the railings to the south of the NEW church. A mixture of rag/squid/prawns on a paternoster or boom rig will do the job.

We are next heading out on Friday night. Plan to leave the house around 2200 and head up the coast for a 0115 High Tide. Can't decide what mark to hit but I'm sure we'll decide soon - I hate bloddy chosing where to go cos if you aren't doing too well you always regret not going somewhere else.....

Anyway - need to stay positive and hope we are on the start of a good run after Portmuck...

GG

Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:39 pm

Sorry Dobe,

that last message was from me.

I forgot to sign in....

DOH!!!!

Portmuck

Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:15 am

Hi GG,

I've never fished at night before but it sounds interesting. I work shifts so have plenty of days off so may give it a try mid week sometime. I take it you need torches, lanterns etc ( excuse the dopey questions but I'm new to this game ).

On Portmuck...I was talking to a guy who said if you go round the other side of the harbour ( ie past the toilets and around the cliff side ) there is better fishing with a chance of bigger cod ( 2 - 3 lb ). Have you ever tried this side ? it looks abit dodgey to get to.

Cheers Dobe

Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:23 pm

Out today for a few hours before and after high tide. Plenty of small fish about ie Coalies, Pollock, Codling and Wrasse but none worth talking about......except for one. Took the other half out fishing for the first time ever and she caught a wrasse about 3/4 - 1 LB. Haven't heard the end of this one !!

All caught on Rag and Squid.

Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:58 pm

Over the rocks at the left of Portmuck can be quite dangerous to get around especially if its wet. I havent fished there for about 25 years. There used to be a bit of a problem with the farmer over access but dont know what the situation is now.
We used to get good wrasse there in the sound.

Re: Portmuck

Sat Oct 15, 2005 9:40 am

Dobe125 wrote:Hi GG,

I've never fished at night before but it sounds interesting. I work shifts so have plenty of days off so may give it a try mid week sometime. I take it you need torches, lanterns etc ( excuse the dopey questions but I'm new to this game ).

On Portmuck...I was talking to a guy who said if you go round the other side of the harbour ( ie past the toilets and around the cliff side ) there is better fishing with a chance of bigger cod ( 2 - 3 lb ). Have you ever tried this side ? it looks abit dodgey to get to.

Cheers Dobe

Hi Dobe,

around to the right of Portmuck Harbour is supposed to be good but it is a bit tricky to get to.

You want to try it on a dry day and travel light with a good sturdy pair of boots. Know the tide times and keep alert - you will catch some good fish so the extra effort will be rewarded.

Here's a good link for the tide times - http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/coast/tides/nireland.shtml

GG

Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:34 pm

Cheers GG will give it ago some day.

Dobe